Integration of AI with PACs and hospital systems

Hello, My name is Laura Young and I am currently part of the team working on AI applications within Guerbet. You may know us from the contrast agents Dotarem and Xenetix but we have recently moved into developing AI applications typically focusing on cancer detection. I am looking to talk to someone about the needs of AI for your work/hospitals and particularly as it pertains to integration with current hospital systems, PACs, RIS etc. If you would be at all interested, please don’t hesitate to contact me! Many thanks in advance, Laura

Hi Laura,

From one point of view it depends where you are aiming - but most healthcare providers (and suppliers) are innterested in long-term use of data and so the use of open international standards is important. Neelam’s post shows the work that the RCR as done to describe interfacing using HL7(v2) and DICOM. These are the most commonly encountered standards in radiology. In fact radiology AI wouldn’t have such great access to image data if it asn’t for the standarisation brought about by DICOM (there is the power of open standards fr information).

Following on from this, there are other important interoperabilty standards. IHE (which evolved from the use of HL7v2 and DICOM in radiology by te way) has specific integration profiles aimed at AI workflows. Just as AI is an emerging area, so the standards are also emerging.
You should also be aware of FHIR. FHIR is very widely adopted in the UK (and north America) and widely used in IHE deployements. There will be good reasons for all diagnistic services (including radiology) to use FHIR in the UK as time moves on - Pathology has already gone this way.

Bascially, what I am saying is, avoid locking your data away in a proporetary format - or using only a proprietary methodology - not all platforms are open. A platform may be a multi-endor ecosystem but may not be open. I will not discuss the economics of this, but information needs to find its way for future use - open standards typically outlive proprietary platforms.

I am the industry co-chair of IHE UK and I am happy to chat open standards with you at any stage (apart from next week when am on holiday).

1 Like

Hi Neelam, Many thanks for this! Best, Laura

Hi Robin, Thank you for this great overview! Certainly let’s set something up for when you return from your holidays. Best, Laura