Minimum Spec monitors for clinical areas

Hi All,

Seeking latest guidance for Minimum Spec monitors in clinical areas please. Thank you

Clinical review displays should be at least 2 MP resolution with a luminance range 0.8–250cd/m2 and should be calibrated at least once a year to remain within 20% of the DICOM GSDF. Either hardware or perceptual calibration (using the Task Group 18 [TG18] test pattern) may be used.

Source: Picture archiving and communication
systems (PACS) and guidelines on
diagnostic display devices
Third edition

Thank you Chris!
I contacted RCR and they asked me to raise the question on this forum!

Regarding the ongoing QA of the monitors, we have ‘RadiCS’ QA software installed on all of our Eizo diagnostic and review monitors. QA tasks are automated and performed regularly. The results are stored on a central server and is easily accessible by users who have the appropriate privleges.

I believe that Barco has a similar approach and uses QA Web software on their monitors. I’m not sure if other medical display vendors have a similar offering.

This seems to be an area of much interest with home working and expense of dedicated medical-grade display devices. LG also have several options including LG Calibration Suite which has the ability to send results to a central data collection server (sounds similar to the RadiCS Stephen mentioned). Does anyone know if there is a vendor-neutral/open standards based server that works with a multi-vendor estate? Or is it a matter of having all the different vendors software sending to their own servers and collating manually?

QA isn’t always straightforward. Some QA requires user input (to check and compare to a test image). Does this always get done reliably? What do people do about failures due to environment (e.g. ambient light)?

Happy to start a new thread if this is off-topic.

RWT radiology used to have multiple vendors for their displays, we now primarily use Barco for onsite and remote reading. I’ve setup Barco’s QAWeb Enterprise Agent which is a cloud-based system for calibration and to perform the usual cohort of luminance checks, if there is a problem I get an email alert about any affected displays. QAWeb does give you a lot of information on the non-Barco displays, workstations including the graphics card as well. I’ve asked Barco to explore setting up an option to upgrade the graphics drivers remotely which would be quite useful.

The Eizo RadIcs QA is a mixture of manual checks and automated readings taken by the bult in sensor.

The Eizo monitors have a warranty for a fixed amount of years or a number of hours usage (which ever is reached first). A useful feature of the QA software is being to check which monitors are being over/under utilised in communal areas. You then have the option to swap the monitors around in order to prolong their life.

1 Like

Just to note that the RCR guidance kindly linked on Friday by Intelerad’s Christopher is currently under review by the SIG. IPEM and PACS manager representatives are providing input and an update with the latest technologies and considerations is I believe expected later this year.

If anyone has any input for this or new points that should be covered / would be useful to include please let me know by direct message here and I can feed in.

Thanks!
Al.

1 Like