Soliton Radiology + user created worklists

Hi all - we have a new installation of Soliton Radiology + which on the whole is very good.

Keen to hear from other UK users whether or not you can create your own custom worklists, or just departmental set ones, or via your PACS/RIS team etc to control the proliferation of worklists.

Seems to be one of the really strong features so some colleagues dissapointed they dont have free rein - what happens in your soliton department? Soliton saying too many worklists created by users slows down the system for all so are discouraging it - thanks in advance for your feedback

We use Zillion RIS from Cannon.

Everyone can create their own worklist using lots of filters to choose from. Does not impact performance.

Dr. Neelam Dugar
Consultant Radiologist

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

|

• | - |

| goldstone_tony Dr Tony Goldstone :blue_heart:
15 September |

• | - |

Hi all - we have a new installation of Soliton Radiology + which on the whole is very good.

Keen to hear from other UK users whether or not you can create your own custom worklists, or just departmental set ones, or via your PACS/RIS team etc to control the proliferation of worklists.

Seems to be one of the really strong features so some colleagues dissapointed they dont have free rein - what happens in your soliton department? Soliton saying too many worklists created by users slows down the system for all so are discouraging it - thanks in advance for your feedback

We use a different RIS too but are able to customise worklists.

It has been useful, as it has enabled radiologists that work on niche areas to set worklists up for those.

But, to give you an idea of worklist proliferation: we have approx 100 reporting staff (incl radiographers and trainees) and probably around 800+ worklists in existence.

I suspect the majority are no longer used (eg test and obsolete versions) but we have had issues with radiologists not reporting following the priority that we had set as a department, particularly in the context of backlogs.

So, a project earmarked for someday in the future is rationalising the worklists and ensuring the standard set are used appropriately. But, no plans to restrict customisation - hoping to rely on education.

Tilak (Consultant Radiologist)

Tony, I’m glad you like the new system. We advise at the beginning of any new system that your system administrator controls the worklists to avoid duplicates. By using the filters you can set your own and save them for your work that day. Can I suggest you discuss your requirements with your system administrator, we would be happy to be involved and advise. I’m not sure who said it would slow the system, this is about good housekeeping not performance.

Regards

Bob

1 Like

Hi Tony, we’ve had Soliton since 2017 and love it. Some of my users want to create worklists and have permission to do so but the majority use the departmental/main ones that were created at go-live or ask for a specific worklist. 5 years on we have quite a few worklists and it doesn’t impact on performance. What you don’t want is lots of user created worklists that are duplicates of others in there. And in the same way as the exam groups in Soliton are brilliant they are “expensive” - you have to maintain them and keep on top of the housekeeping. Most of my users will use a general worklist, amend it using the filters, and that’s them for the day :smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Bob - thanks for replying - we were told “the more worklists that are created the slower the system will start to function” which didnt really make IT sense to me as I would have though they only create any load on the system when they are active and being refreshed?

It was certainly a feature that was pushed when we were procuring a RIS and a feature I and others really liked

We have total freedom for user created work lists

1. Dictation
  2. Vetting
  3. Appointments
  4. Radiographer completion
  5. MDTMs

It is really important feature for us.

Dr. Neelam Dugar
Consultant Radiologist

| goldstone_tony Dr Tony Goldstone :blue_heart:
15 September |

• | - |

Hi Bob - thanks for replying - we were told “the more worklists that are created the slower the system will start to function” which didnt really make IT sense to me as I would have though they only create any load on the system when they are active and being refreshed?

It was certainly a feature that was pushed when we were procuring a RIS and a feature I and others really liked

1 Like

Hi Tony

Which PACS do you have?

Both RIS & PACS should have the capabilty to create worklists. In our practice we tend to use the one that works best for the particular need.

The ability to create your own worklists and team work lists is particularly helpful. The system(s) that allow more customise tend to win though.

Hi - first up, I am really enjoying the ‘freedom’ people have to implement PACS led or RIS led workflows.

I want to comment that these freedoms are due to
A real world functionality enacted in RIS’s and PACS’s
B the ability of Open standards interchange formats to communicate information supporting these workflows

These two go hand in hand - so I am making a plee to all keep involved in the Open Standards, so that these important and advanced workflows (and freedoms to implement as you like) can continue without just having to resort to something you can buy off one vendor.

It might not seem important in the short term (“I want to get this workflow solved now”), but it is important in the long term.
There are essential parts to this - like and <comsuming information from other supplier’s systems through Open Standards> and you can ask your suppliers to suppport this - the voice of the customer is always the most important in this type of discussion.

2 Likes